Mind Over Body
What they say about physical accomplishments are really mind over body rings true, although you probably don't need me to tell you that. When I'm distracted by something, I can always do more. If I daydream while running, especially day dream about something that incorporate the physical activity I'm already doing, I tend to ignore what my body actually *is* doing. If I'm watching the news or celebrity gossip at the gym, my head is in that story for a short time and I can forget that I'm running. I just run blindly. The next time I check out the time or notice the incline change, its five minutes later.
However, if I'm focusing on the run, counting down the minutes, considering how tired my legs are, listening to my breath, every second seems to tick by at a much slower pace. I get bored. I think about how nice it will be when its over. I want the time to come faster. So what do I do? I start making excuse to end things. I think my body is ready to quit when it can go so much further. If I have prejudged my limits or know when the end will come, I mentally start to shut down and get ready for the end. If I don't know my limits or have a set ending appointment, then I can continue.
For example, I have this huge hump that I need overcome between minutes 8 and 17. It's this 9 minute period in which my body transitions from calm, cool and unexerted, to warmed up muscles, a light sweat and real exertion. Sometimes a chill will go through my legs and its literally like a changing point, this tingle that finally says my muscle have woken up. This also drives home the point on how important a warm-up can be. Why warm-ups don't last 2-3 minutes, but 5-10 minutes. It makes a heck of a lot of sense.
Unfortunately the gym is not made for runners. There is a 30 minute limit on the treadmills. So if you warm-up for 10 minutes and cool down for 5-10 minutes, you run will only last 10-15minutes. In reality, I want to run 30 minutes with a 5-10minute cool down on either side. Then I want to cap it off with 20 minutes of stretching. Then I need to shower... It turns into this huge ordeal that takes such a chunk out of the day.
The great outdoors sets no limits, but its a whole new ballgame with traffic and weather. Running outside also incorporates the distraction and motivation technique moreso than at the gym because I have this "Keeping up with the Jones" mentality -- Marion Jones, that is. If I run past a cute guy, I want to be running strong. Hell, if I run past an old lady, I want to look good and have her reminisce about her athletic youth. If I'm in public and running, I want to be viewed as a runner, a real runner, not that I'm just hacking it for the first time and panting my way around the block.
I'm going to stick with my outdoor runs on the weekends, however. The transition to cement and pavement can be tough on the knees and other joints. Given the rate of improvement that I'm aiming for, the last thing I need is to have an injury due to that factor alone.
In Other News
I'm at 159 today. It's all new low, which is kind cool. Usually I'm going up in weight around this time of the week. I'm thinking that perhaps my body has finally overcome that transitional start and realizes that I'm going to be pushing it daily as well as eating enough. I've also eaten a lot more this and last week than I was with the all-veggie diet I'd fallen into before that. I've been trying to bulk up on fiber and protein, and not worry to much about my general carb intake. I still snack all day really, but on small health things.
Water intake is still a battle for me. I'm still not getting enough straight up water. I need to come up with a new plan on how to drink more. Your pee is supposed to be clear at all times, anything darker is a sign of dehydration. Drink more! Drink more! I've gotta keep forcing myself to do so. I know it will make a huge difference.
Downloade Stage Fright By Meg Cabot Pdf Ebook
5 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment