Yesterday I went for a short run before my Abs Express class at 6:30. I ran 7.5mph for 8 minutes - not much, but I was in a crunch for time. Abs class was kind of a let down. It's only 15 minutes and I guess I expected it to be more intense. It was not. Following the abs class was Intermediate Pilates, which turned out to be great. I've been in a beginner class since October, and am starting to reach the point where I'm not challenged by the exercises. The instructor said that I did well with most everything we did, so I'm very excited about that. My favorite move is called "The Teaser" which I described in an earlier post. One of the new moves I learned was the "Roll Over" which is kind of like "The Plow" position in yoga, but with all ab work to lift yourself over and keep parallel legs.
This morning I was seriously not wanting to get out of bed, but managed to drag my lazy butt out the door with time to spare. I got there a little after 6am, so I ran for 20 minutes doing 7.5 to 6.5 intervals, which felt great. Everytime I run, I get strong, faster and can go longer. It makes me look forward to every run I take, since I know I can continuously do better and push myself.
There were only three of us in our circuit/bootcamp class today. We did push-ups off from the Nike stability platform, which is not stable, haha. Not just any old push-ups, but push-ups with a side rotation. So you're balanced there with arms relatively wide over this moving platform, and then you release an arm, turn your body sideways, which puts all the weight on your opposite arm, sending the Nike platform sinking down 2-3 inches. Holy crap! That is a really unsteady feeling, let me tell ya. It makes you forget that you're doing push-ups though because you're so concentrated on not falling over.
I think the class was more efficient today because there were so few of us. We got through two complete circuits and had almost no lag-time in between stations. It was a good time overall.
I brought my gloves today so that I would brutalize my hands during dips (which we didn't do) and on the assisted pull-up machine. I can't say that they made a huge difference. I think the gloves are too small. I had bought a medium back in the day when I wasn't serious about them. I'm going to go a women's large this time I think, so I have more stretchy movement when I grip. Pull-ups weren't so bad, and I'm going to move up to 50lb on the rowing machine next week, since I did three sets of 12 easily.
There is this girl at the gym that has become one of my role models. She has a chubby face and looks young, so you don't think of her as buff. However, I always see her stretching and she can do complete splits in both directions - very flexible. And today she seriously impressed me by pumping out 3 military-style pull-ups on the bar - one she had to jump pretty high for. If she can do it, I can reach the point where I can do it. She doesn't look like one of those super athletic, totally buff people either, so that provides me with a lot of hope.
That's about it. I was still at 160 today, kind of a bummer. I want to be back in the 50s again - and still be eating.
Oh, and I'm only leaving this up briefly, but I took this the other day because while I'm not buff or anything, my tummy looks so much better these days than even a few months ago. I'm losing the pouch! Haha..
And my back, which is not exactly defined, but I don't have the side roll thing that I had for a while in college when I gained so much weight.
0 comments:
Post a Comment