0
Personal Training, maybe?

Well, last week I ended up discussing my fitness goals with another of the trainers. I take pilates with her and she was showing me around the new equipment that we just got. The conversation progressed, and I somehow got talked into getting personal training with her. She says that she understand my goals and can put something hardcore together for me. I'm a little nervous about the cost of it all. It's $67 per session, so I'm going to have to talk to her about how often we really need to meet up.

Saturday Workout & Running Store

On Saturday I ran 4 miles to the gym from my house, did strength training for an hour, then ran back about 2 1/2 miles, but stopped at a running shop. It's a local shop that's *only* for runners, so I had them check my stride and gait to ensure that I'm in the right pair of shoes. While I have high arches, they don't collapse at all, so apparently I don't need the stability shoes I've been using (Asics GT series). I actually would do better in something a little more flexible from a neutral series. Due to the width of my foot, we decided on the GEL-Landreth 4 since its a little wider than the other cushioning neutrals. I could also go for the high end model that everyone raves about: Nimbus-9, but I actually felt more comfortable in the Landreths. I can also try out the Saucony equivalent, the ProGrid Triumph 5 if I ever want to move out of the Asics brand. While what I'm wearing isn't perfect, it isn't anything harmful, just more supportive than is necessary for someone like me.

I didn't buy any of the shoes, unfortunately for the salesperson, since I still have another 100 miles I think on the pair I have. But I did buy a reflective harness for night running, since I tend to wear a lot of black when running - not safe in the dark, especially since I prefer to run on the side of the street, not the cement sidewalks - pavement is softer than cement.

Sunday Run

I told someone the night before that I was going to reward myself with a trip to Whole Foods only if I ran all the way around Fresh Pond, not just to WF. So put on my big girl panties and sucked it up. It's 4.6 miles for the trip with a couple of tough hills, so I think that grocery shopping was well earned. It was a lovely day around 40 degree with a light rain, cloudy. The rain kind of kept me cool in spite of the warming weather. The pond is actually a reservoir, so it's absolutely gorgeous out there. I wanted to walk just do that I could enjoy it longer. It's so beautiful when the wind is whipping against the water.

Future Road Races

On a last minute whim, I'm going to try running a 5 Mile road race next Sunday. I've run 5 miles, but not in race format. I'm a little nervous, but I figure that the only person I can disappoint is myself. No one else really cares how slow I come in. So I may as well just take an extra long jog that day in a new area of the city.

I also signed up for the Boston Run to Remember on May 25th. It's in honor of the fallen men and women of the Boston Police force. It's another 5 Mile race through downtown Boston. Its very big, and I'm very excited about it. I think it'll be fantastic. It's in combo with a Half Marathon, but I'm going the short route this year. I don't think I'll be doing Half Marathons until the fall. I'm proud of myself for graduating up to 5 Milers though. That's only a mile short of 10Ks, which I plan to give a shot at this summer (if I can stand the heat - I may have to start going to Canada for road races, haha).

I have the 5K Race for a Cure in Philadelphia next month, of course, too. In light of the longer races, I feel like it should be a piece of cake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment