0
Post-Nutritionist Work

The Change in Eating Habits

Well, I went shopping this weekend in order to start going by the extremely strict eating guidelines I have from the nutritionist. There is no calorie counting involved, just a set group of meals I'm allowed to have and protein counting. As I said before, her greatest concern was the fact that I work out 2-3 hours per day, but am consuming enough protein. As a result, my body breaks down the muscle almost as soon as it forms in order to sustain itself.

Well, I made my own yogurt last night, but I'm not that thrilled with the flavor. I'll get used to it however. I never liked sweet yogurt anyway, so this is even more of a step down. I honestly don't think that the agave nectar made much of a flavor difference. The taste comes mainly from the berries. I might cut it out next week since that'll cut out like 180 calories per batch. That's 30 calories per serving.

I also made my 3/4 cup egg whites with 1/2 cup veggies for post-workout breakfast last night. It's not so tasty cold. But I think it'll be better on days I go to the gym and can heat it up at work. This morning I just went for a run before coming in, so I snacked on cold eggs while on the bus ride in. Not so tasty, even for someone who was as hungry as I was.

Last night I decided to also meal plan for the week, so that I could easily prep and not get thrown off by a long day or social plans. I think that this will make grocery shopping faster and easier. I'm going to have to be buying 14 servings (1/2 cup or baseball size) of fruit per week for snacks, so I want plan ahead to buy enough and experiment with variety.

I still have some questions for my nutritionist since we didn't get to cover everything:
- Am I able to eat avocado in moderation?
- Can I drink a cup of coffee or a nonfat latte?
- When do I get to have a dessert?
- Is fresh pasta evil or do I just have to get whole wheat?
- Where does bread come into play?

I ended up not having enough protein or substance to my lunch today, so I did the baked tofu, 2 servings, which put me at 18g protein, along with a baby bok choy for veggies. Then added 1 Tbsp of unsalted fresh-ground peanut butter with a 1/8 of tsp of agave nectar to sweeten on 1.5oz of whole ground flax bread (a slice). Sounds delicious right? Haha. We'll see how it goes. It's my first week. The bread was on the grocery list as okay, and I didn't use nuts anywhere else today, so that bumps up my protein by a lot and provides a little starch and fiber as well to get my through the afternoon.

For my snacks today, I'm having honey tangelo and string cheese, and 1/2 cup of cherries and a 4oz low fat cottage cheese.

I haven't entirely decided on dinner yet, but it will be something I can also use for lunch tomorrow. I'm trying really hard to drink lots of water. She said at least 3 quarts per day.

Running Update

Due to my sudden panic over the fact that I have a 5 Mile on Saturday, I've been trying to run like mad to remind my body that it is capable of doing that again. On Saturday I ran 4 miles to the gym, then Sunday I ran 5 miles or so out to and around the local reservoir. I'm not sure if this was accurate, but according to my watch, I did that latter in 44.28, which included stopping to take photos a few times. That would put me below a 9min mile. It's hard for me to buy that though. However, possibly if I factor in the following:
- I was in shade or partial shade 90% of the time
- I ran 50% of the run on ground, not pavement or cement.
- Cute dogs, beautiful scenery, etc. are all very distracting.

This morning I ran probably 2 miles at a relatively rapid pace. I found a new route that I actually kinda like. The lack of traffic in the residential area means that I can run on the street the entire time, not the cement sidewalks. It's partially shady most of the way. It's also pretty flat which is nice too, so I can sprint blocks if I want. I also avoid traffic intersections which tends to slow me down.

Anyway, all this running has sacrificed my swimming, and my last lesson is tomorrow. I'm going to try to get some swimming in tonight either before or after pilates class.

0 comments:

Post a Comment